UX Manager, Competitive, VALORANT
As a UX Manager on VALORANT, you will be responsible for building out and managing the UX team delivering work across a number of feature teams. You will be key in setting up your UX team to build and level up our competitive experiences, connect our viewers and players in one game and sport ecosystem, collaborate with other teams to create cohesive experiences, and develop a design vision for what healthy social competition looks like now and into the future.
You will apply design thinking and take a broad approach to ensure experiential continuity across platforms and touch points. You and your team will work from concept through development and collaborate with other UX designers, visual designers, product owners, and technologists to achieve your goals, and to continue to improve the VALORANT player experience. Collaboration and communication will be key for this role, as you will become the point of contact for UX design in your area on VALORANT and help drive alignment and best practices across our internal teams, and external vendors.
VALORANT is Riot’s take on a character-based tactical shooter (Find out more info on VALORANT). As a User Experience Manager on the team, you will be trusted to manage a small, talented team of designers creating solutions that help players navigate all aspects of our game. You will work closely with Lead Designers, and your cross discipline teams, to produce strong UX flows through interesting and intuitive control schemes and layouts. You will report to the Senior UX Manager.
- Lead UX design across multiple workstreams, focusing on the interaction design and player flows for these areas.
- Manage UX Designers in your area of responsibility.
- Manage external vendors/UX ICs from Riot Sydney.
- Manage experiential quality and consistency across features end-to-end.
- Support high-level design in developing intuitive control schemes and UX flows.
- Clearly present and communicate data-informed design ideas, vision, and strategy through visual storytelling.
- Be prepared to help implement prototypes (with engineering and UI support) to show proof of concept.
- Collaborate across teams to design large-scale products for players.
- Articulate design decisions and communicate your data-informed vision, design rationale and solutions to team members.
- Deliver appropriate level of design artifacts for the team (e.g., strategy articulation and alignment frameworks, discovery/research results, journey maps, flows, wireframes, mockups and/or prototypes)
- Work with Design discipline leadership across the team and company to establish best-practices and quality standards, and champion user-centered design methodologies.
- 5+ years experience designing digital experiences, products, and platforms as a User Experience Designer or Interaction Designer
- Experience with Figma, as well as Adobe Creative Suite, Miro, or other industry design and prototyping tools
- Experience designing interfaces and interactions for a variety of platforms (web, mobile, console, etc.)
- Experience managing multiple projects at one time
- A minimum of a BA/BS degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction/ Interface Design, Communication Design, Graphic Design, or equivalent experience
- 2+ years managing people
- Broad or secondary UX skills outside your core specialty: interaction design, content strategy, user research, information architecture, visual design, ui animation etc.
- Experience with multiplatform design systems
- Experience in the ecommerce space
- Experience with Unreal engine
We will review your work as part of the application process, so please provide a portfolio link or work samples with your application.
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about players' experiences, this could be your role!
Riot focuses on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy and other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.