VFX Artist, Amazon Games
Feb 03, 2023
Irvine, United States
- 5+ years professional experience with at least 1 shipped AAA title or equivalent work in a related field.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Art or equivalent experience in a related field.
- Online Portfolio demonstrating expertise in the creation and implementation of real-time VFX.
Amazon Games is committed to creating ground-breaking games, supporting talented developers to produce their best work. We're passionate gamers and developers with diverse backgrounds & experience - with the power of Twitch, AWS, and the entire Amazon support structure to deliver truly unique games to a massive audience.
We are looking for a VFX Artist to join our team of artists, designers, programmers and other creatives to augment our passionate internal VFX team. This VFX Artist will be responsible for the creation and implementation of high-end, stunning, real-time visual effects that are consistent with our project’s artistic direction and production deadlines. The ideal candidate will have strong artistic and technical skills and a solid understanding of how to deliver within the time and technical constraints of industry schedules and platforms. They must exhibit the ability to transform concrete and ambiguous concepts into congruent, rich visuals. A high degree of familiarity with industry standard tools is a must.
Inclusive Culture, Work/Life Balance, & Career Growth
We embrace our differences and are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We offer ten employee-led affinity groups with 190 global chapters, innovative benefits, and annual and ongoing learning experiences (including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences). Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance and offers flexible working hours. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. Additionally, our team is dedicated to supporting you with mentorship and pathways for ongoing development. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and are building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and promotes career choice.
Rapid creation, iteration, and optimization of VFX assets according to artistic direction and within scheduled deadlines
Clear and effective communication and collaboration with leads, producers, product owners, and developers across all disciplines
Understanding of various VFX creation and implementation methods with or without concepts
Be eager to participate in receiving and sharing constructive critique, knowledge and insights, and team bar-raising efforts
Work with powerful proprietary tools to deliver stunning effects within the technical limitations of the game engine
- High level communication skills to collaborate with artists, designers, programmers, and QA.
- Experience using game engines (Unity, Unreal Engine, CryEngine)
- Experience with 3D software (Autodesk, Blender, SketchUp, ZBrush)
- Experience with animation software (Adobe After Effects, Maya/Max, Blender, DigiCel FlipBook, Toon Boom)
- Experience using image manipulation software (Adobe Photoshop, GIMP)
- Experience with Lumberyard, PopcornFX, Cascade/Niagara, or Unity’s Particle Editor
- Experience with Houdini (Fire and smoke sims)
- Ability to concept/storyboard VFX ideas
- Ability to create flipbook texture sequences
- Demonstrate basic understanding of color theory, lighting, modeling and UV texturing of a 3D object.
- Ability to interpret and transform abstract ideas into compelling effects
- Ability to accept feedback and implement suggestions
- Experience and knowledge of animation principles
- A high level of comfort with scripting tools
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role.
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.