VFX Artist II - League, PIE Content - Xtra
On the Real-Time VFX team at Riot, we design and implement the sleek, dynamic and dramatic visual effects that represent gameplay and add atmosphere to the world of League of Legends. We use our experience to create aesthetically astounding visual effects that communicate essential game information and personify the characters and skins we create. League of Legends has a diverse roster of powerful champions with a vast range of abilities, from cosmic dragons to undead warlords and our universe is full of creative potential.
As a VFX Artist II on the PIE-C External Development (Xtra) team, you’ll use your artistic and technical skills to support the creation of stunning visual effects and guide the development of visual effects from external artists. Effects may vary from champion skin abilities to emotes, sight wards, and just about any other variety of VFX assets that will go into League. You will work with Product Leads, Delivery Leads, team members, and the Associate Art Director to stay aligned on vision and priorities, reporting to the VFX Art Lead. You will oversee VFX feedback to external partners and contribute to discipline review sessions.
- Guide external artists to hit product quality standards, project art pillars, and highlight improvement areas through a variety of feedback methods
- Support the creation of aesthetically astounding visual effects that balance player satisfaction and communicate essential game information and capture the essence of hundreds of characters
- Find creative solutions to eliminate difficult problems in production and drive agreement on improvements to pipelines, processes and techniques
- Use your knowledge of visual effects to create brand new assets from classic designs, and push the quality bar of our art style
- Occasional travel overseas to provide training directly to external artists and connect with external teams
- 3+ years’ experience in video games industry
- Skills in 3D/2D Software - Maya, Photoshop
- Experience creating stylized real-time VFX and a portfolio showcasing these skills.
- Proficiency in VFX fundamentals like timing, shape language, and color theory.
- Knowledge of the MOBA genre, ideally League of Legends, as it pertains to game design, isometric content and visual clarity
- Familiarity with the League of Legends IP and skins universes
- Shipped titles as a VFX Artist
- Experience with advanced modeling like rigging and animating
- Experience making complex materials for use on characters
- Interest in International travel for onsite training and conferences
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
(Los Angeles only) Base salary range of $110,000 - $154,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.