Job Title:VFX Artist
Founded in 1990, Raven Software is the developer of numerous award-winning games including Hexen, Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and most recently, a major contributor to the blockbuster Call of Duty® franchise. We’re based in Middleton, Wisconsin, a suburb of Madison, annually ranked on numerous lists as one of the top places to live and work.
We have a unique vision for our industry. One that has and continues to inspire us. We bring no egos. We focus on what is best for the game. We hire stunning peers. We own our own mistakes. We treat each other with respect. After nearly 30 years, Raven Software is still thriving. We developed a team who cares about one another, our games and our players. As we enter the next exciting chapter of our story, we are growing. Our team is creative, highly intelligent, well-led and equipped to face this exciting future. If you want to work with a world-class team, on exciting new projects, then apply today! We look forward to hearing from you.
As a VFX Artist you will create particle simulations and systems that both mimic real-life phenomena and capture the imagination through fantastic visuals. We’re looking for strong collaborators who bring no ego but plenty of passion.
Together, we’ll push our tools beyond all reasonable limits, and constantly hunt for better techniques and inspiring reference no matter where it can be found.
With your creativity and curiosity, and your own blend of technical and artistic skills, you’ll help us create the most stunning AAA visuals and compelling gameplay on the planet.
In this role you’ll be asked to:
- Work closely with the VFX Lead, Art Directors and others in bringing life to gameplay and cinematics through the addition of flair and visual drama
- Craft compelling moments through the design, creation, and implementation of real-time particle effects using both static and animating 2D/3D elements
- Prototype VFX and materials which effectively develop tone and pacing of gameplay events
- Stay current with the latest tools, technologies, and techniques to help shape our pipelines
- Balance quality with efficiency when working under tight deadlines
- Follow and maintain workflows and technical requirements
- 2+ years of Visual Effects experience for games, or equivalent experience in film/television
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to excel in a collaborative and diverse work environment
- Being a self-motivated team player who proactively seeks feedback and communication
- Ability to quickly learn new software and adapt to proprietary software
- Strong technical problem solving skills
- Relevant 2D and 3D software experience - Photoshop, After Effects, Maya, Max, Houdini, Substance Designer
- Bachelor’s degree in an Art related discipline or equivalent experience
- Experience in a secondary area such as texturing, modeling, scripting, animation, or lighting
- Experience creating VFX shaders
- Experience and comfort in Unreal and/or PopcornFX
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty®, World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Diablo®, Candy Crush™ and Bubble Witch™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Raven Software is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.