VP of Engineering, Math Game
Prodigy Education is a global leader in game-based learning and is one of the fastest-growing EdTech companies in North America. Our mission is to help every student in the world love learning, motivating millions worldwide via fun, secure and accessible curriculum-aligned gameplay experiences. Visit www.prodigygame.com to learn more.
The Engineering team builds and operates a high performance, scalable, reliable, and secure technology platform that will allow us to transform education and deliver effective learning experiences to every student in the world. We do this by building for tomorrow, failing fast and early, and empowering each other to make things better. Interested in learning more about what we're working on? Visit the Prodigy Engineering blog at https://medium.com/prodigy-engineering
We're currently seeking a VP of Engineering, Math Game to help us build the next chapter for Prodigy’s math game, which is used by millions of kids around the world. A great candidate for this role is a strong people manager who is passionate about shipping amazing value for our users as efficiently and scalably as possible. The person in this role will be an integral part of the game’s leadership team, partnering with others to translate our company vision and strategy into engineering strategies that enable us to achieve our purpose at scale.\n
- Drive the successful execution of each of your teams and/or projects, which may include leading foundational, risky, or trailblazing projects to completion for the organization.
- Ability to work in vague or ill-defined areas. You help your teams and your colleagues create clearer goals and clearer requirements.
- Seek to discover problem areas that impact quality and delivery in any area and level of the organization, and resolve them through root cause analysis/retrospective and collaborating with those closest to the problem.
- Architect repeatable, scalable processes, ceremonies, and methodologies that enable teams to autonomously set appropriate expectations that balance business objectives with team capacity, manage risks, and remove blockers
- Facilitate & drive technical roadmaps that balance business goals, software asset health and overall quality by guiding managers & teams and ensuring appropriate time & resources are dedicated.
- Stay up to date with software development trends and technologies to ensure we are well positioned for the future through the technical direction of our roadmap.
- Manage staffing and budget planning for areas of ownership to ensure teams are aligned to best accomplish the defined goals.
- Grow leaders at every level of the organization by diagnosing and improving motivation both individually and at scale within your team(s) to ensure standards remain high for both culture and talent.
- Build and maintain relationships across all levels of the organization to enable the successful execution of large scale initiatives through established trust, credibility and effective coordination. Actively contribute to and/or lead Engineering-wide and Prodigy-wide strategies, changes, improvements.
- 10+ years of Engineering leadership experience in gaming companies
- 5+ years hands on experience developing games with complex infrastructures
- You keep up on the latest trends in gaming and technology
- A passion for people management. You love empowering and developing team members, but you’re willing and able to challenge your team to help them grow.
- A strong track record of collaborating effectively with other senior leaders across a company.
- Experience aligning software engineering within a product-driven environment. You know how to set up and manage cross-functional engineering teams.
- You have a bias to action, and you’re willing to challenge cross-functionally to ensure that we have the right scope to get the job done right, as quickly as we can.
- Strong attention to detail with prior experience developing KPIs and metrics. Experience with OKRs is a plus.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with both highly-technical and non-technical teams.
Working at Prodigy
- Why Prodigy? Here at Prodigy, our employees are the foundation of our organization - an asset that transforms our mission into a reality! For this reason, we offer our employees a Total Rewards Program that is geared towards their financial, physical and mental well-being.
- Employees receive full health benefits from day one! Including separate allocation for mental health.
- Employee stock options and savings plan
- $500.00 to create your own work from home set-up
- We pride ourselves on constant learning, which is why we offer our employees an annual learning fund of $1200.00
- Prodigy Savings Program (RRSP, TFSA)
- We value wellness, so in addition to wellness classes and benefits, we also offer an additional $720.00 fund to all employees
- Flexibility to choose whether you work from home or in-office, based on what works best on any given day
- Flexible working hours
- Monthly “no meeting day” Tuesdays
- Extended long weekends throughout the year!
- Want to work from anywhere in the world? We offer 4 weeks of "work from anywhere" per year!
- #LI-Remote, #LI-SM1
Come as you are. We believe the power of our collective potential will transform education. We are building towards a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace to empower and create access and opportunity for all. We welcome applications from people from all underrepresented groups, including (but not limited to) people of any gender, age, or religion, members of the LGBTQIA2+ community, BIPOC and other underrepresented races and nationalities, people with disabilities, veterans, and anyone who may contribute to the further diversification of Prodigy Education. If you feel like you don’t have all the qualifications for this position and are willing to use your initiative to learn the rest, we’d still love for you to apply!
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA). Prodigy Education will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation, please notify us, and we will work with you to meet your needs.