Lighting Artist (Cinematics) - Helix
As a Lighting Artist at Ubi MTL in our cinematics division, you will add the last layer of detail to beautify 3D environments and craft a cohesive, vibrant, and immersive world. Every choice you’ll make, from colour to contrast, will influence and inspire emotions and encourage players to engage in what will be a memorable gameplay experience.
With an artistic yet technical eye, you’ll seamlessly and strategically manipulate lighting to draw the players’ eyes to key areas and subtly show them the way. You’ll be the players’ silent travel companion, – their intuition, even – helping them navigate while experiencing the moods and ambiances you’ve created.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with the art team to develop the look and feel of the cinematics.
- Find visual references based on the artistic and technical directions.
- Set up light sources to support narrative elements and gameplay progression.
- Light game environments, characters, and cinematics to direct the players’ attention, set the emotional tone, communicate atmosphere and plot details, etc.
- Balance artistic aspects with technical constraints.
- Document and share your lighting design knowledge and best practices.
- Refine your integrated lighting effects based on feedback received from interdependent teams, debugging when need be.
What you bring
- A college diploma in Fine Art, Visual Effects, or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset)
- At least 3 years of experience in lighting, texturing, image processing, or other relevant experience (photography, computer graphics, or pre-rendering an asset)
- Knowledge of 2D art tools (e.g. Photoshop) and familiarity with 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max) + game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal)
- A solid understanding of art fundamentals (composition, space, colour theory, form, etc.)
- Ability to accept feedback and adapt to it
- Excellent observation, communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- A creative and collaborative spirit
- Aesthetic sensitivity and a keen eye for even the subtlest of details
What to send our way
- Your CV highlighting your background and skills
- A portfolio of your best work (attach images or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio)
Real live people from our team will review your application. In this case, it’s our talent acquisition specialists Yara & Nicole. As they learn more about you through your profile, get to know them through the videos below
Ubisoft’s 20,000 team members, working across more than 30 countries around the world, are bound by a common mission: enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their commitment and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come.
Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves.
When you join Ubi MTL, you discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being.
If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, harnessing cutting-edge technologies, and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join us on our journey and help us create the unknown.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.