What you do at AMD changes everything
At AMD, we push the boundaries of what is possible. We believe in changing the world for the better by driving innovation in high-performance computing, graphics, and visualization technologies – building blocks for gaming, immersive platforms, and the data center.
Developing great technology takes more than talent: it takes amazing people who understand collaboration, respect, and who will go the “extra mile” to achieve unthinkable results. It takes people who have the passion and desire to disrupt the status quo, push boundaries, deliver innovation, and change the world. If you have this type of passion, we invite you to take a look at the opportunities available to come join our team.
The Operations Manager orchestrates the creation, assignment, and utilization of engineering lab space within a large engineering product development team. The role develops and maintains a long-term global strategy to ensure that lab growth aligns to organizational needs. The role will enable incremental labs by championing the reconfiguration of existing space, leasing and/or construction of new space. The role represents the engineering team, but works across several supporting functions including Facilities, Real Estate, and Finance to ensure lab growth is planned, funded, executed, and commissioned.
You have a strong understanding of engineering product development processes and you have experience interacting with Engineering Managers in hardware design, software design, mechanical design etc. You rely on your strong project management skills to deliver milestones on-time every time. You exercise judgment and leverage your strong authoritative ability to make decisions. You have extensive experience using MS Excel and MS Project and you have strong data management capabilities.
- Manages engineering lab space for product development.
- Dispositions requests for new lab space assignment and strategically plans fulfillment based on key requirements including physical space, power, cooling, noise control, networking etc.
- Tightly monitors the utilization of assigned lab space including on-time exit upon planned completion, extension requests etc.
- Maintains accurate records of all space assignments, requirements for new space etc.
- Focuses on the long-term vision of enterprise growth and the need to scale lab space accordingly strategizing a variety of creative solutions. Aims for efficiency and continuous improvement overall.
- Champions construction expansion projects and externally leased space projects enabling growth for labs.
- Develops requirements - Understands the core requirements and works with functional experts to break down those requirements into the underlying needs for electrical power, cooling, noise suppression, network bandwidth etc.
- Project Management – Has a strong understanding of project management methodologies, is skilled in planning work and working the plan, maintains project artifacts including scope definition, Gantt charts, risk register, status communications etc.
- Scope Management – Maintains laser focus on the scope of work for each project and ensures scope is controlled and exercises change control for all change requests.
- Contract Management – Has a strong understanding of contract management and participates in contract negotiation, persistently tracks contractual milestones and commitments, authorizes payments for completed milestones etc.
- Maintains extensive data records for multiple purposes enabling a high-degree of understanding of utilization, traceability, duration of space assignments, capital asset tracking, report generation etc.
- Creates budgets, tracks attainment and forecasts spend for both expense and capital
- Develops multi-year capital improvement plans and manages the process to complete the capital projects
- Manages non-lab space and other capacity projects.
- Coordinates existing storage utilization and assignments
- Manages projects enabling storage expansion including construction and leased space
- Superior communication skills, both verbal and written. Strong ability to work autonomously and drive results. Collaborates cross functionally across all parts of the business.
- 5 - 10 years Project Management experience
- 5 - 10 years Operations experience
- Knowledge of lab usage, capacity planning and facilities management
- Experience planning and driving IT project implementation
- Ability to create progress dashboards for executive consumption
- Undergraduate engineering degree
- Formal Project Management education, PMP designation is an asset
- Change management training is an asset
- Markham #LI-SJ3
Requisition Number: 178091
Country: Canada Province: Ontario City: Markham
Job Function:General Management
AMD is an inclusive employer dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs under the respective provincial human rights codes throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Any applicant who requires accommodation should contact AskHR@amd.com.
AMD does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters, recruitment agencies or fee based recruitment services.